Wednesday, January 2, 2013

13 for '13

I promise this will be a shorter list than my last post. My 13 words for 2013 are words and phrases that express what I am feeling, hoping and looking forward to for the year.

1. Anticipation. Anticipation for what God has in store for me and my family and friends. I look forward to seeing where He takes us, the growth, challenges, our response to them and victories we will experience this year!

2. Goals. Every Janurary I make goals for the year. I check in with my list every so often. This is not a plan or rules to live by. I don't make the traditional long-term plans, but rather goals. The other day I was talking with a wonderful lady. She and her family spend many years on the mission field of Spain. She asked me what I had planned for the future. This question is difficult for me to answer and I don't necessarily like the question because it evokes the idea that what I am doing now is not enough or the right thing, because I like what I do and where I am and firmly believe it is where God wants me.

I don't make plans(i.e. 5 or 10 year plan) because life happens, things change and most importantly I am not God so I cannot see the future. I can only trust the One Who holds the future in His hands. Now, before you start to think I am a free, unreliable spirit, hear me out! Making goals gives me a chance to improve things that need improving and prevent me from becoming stagnant or irresponsible.
Some of these goals will be seen throughout the following words.

3. Financial Peace. My hope and goal by the end of the year is to have all my bills (medical, school) paid off. I have bought a book to walk me through it and hopefully this will be achieved so I am no longer serving this master!

4. Creativity. I hope to continue making the majority of my gifts and use the resources I already have on hand. I also hope to learn to sew and use the sewing machine that has been sitting on my craft table all year! :)

5. Discipline. Yes, that word that means work! I hope to continue being disciplined in my daily life including my workouts, being on time, going to bed early, drinking lots of water and so much more!

6. Heart of Rest, Joy, Peace and Thanksgiving. These four can only be experienced through Christ as I let go of things and spend more time with Him, in prayer and scripture. To be still before Him.

7. Ministry. I look forward to the work God has for me and how I can best serve Him through the young girls ministry, Don Shire ministries and whatever else He may have me do.

8. Recipes. Yes, I know it seems odd to have this word with all of the serious things of this year but I am hoping and planning on challenging myself in trying or creating new recipes to better enjoy the foods I can have. I am also hoping this will help me enjoy meals in general and not seem so much liked a chore to prepare and cook the food as I make most things from natural and non-processed sources and that means cooking from scratch!

9. Words of encouragement. I aim to be more of an encourager ot those around me.
10. Balance. I hope to find balance in the crazy thing we call life of work, play, ministry, health and the day to day process.

11. Blog and journal(more). So you will probably see me on here more often!

12. Vulnerable and sensitive. This is not an easy thing for me, friends. Pray for me, that I will be open to what the Lord has to show me and what he has in store for the year.

13. Take time. I so often do not take the time to enjoy the little things in life that are significant. Sunshine through the clouds, sunrises and sunsets, the opportunity for a chance to bless another all because I am busy. Yup, this is going to take balance, sensitivity and to let the things that don't matter go!

Whew, there it is! It is shorter like I promised:) What are some of your hopes, goals and words for 2013?
R

No comments: