Tuesday, January 8, 2013

10 Years

Ten years ago my family faced possibly one of the most dreaded and difficult things a family can face. A quiet, clear January day turned nearly fatal. My sister was hit from behind in her car by a fully loaded log truck, right in front of our home. They say its a parents worst nightmare, a call no one wants. My family didn't receive that call, there was no need for it, we were the ones calling for help. Neighbors came to help, rescue vehicles arrived. It was obvious, the evidence clear. The officer looked at us with sympathy and pity and said "I'm sorry". I already knew, no words were needed, a simple glance was I needed to know.

Or so we thought.

For a moment in time we thought we had lost my sister. That is not a moment one forgets or takes for granted. We were given a miracle that many have wanted and prayed for. She moved and time stood still as they confirmed vitals and worked to get her out of the car that now resembled a mangled piece of metal that no longer resembled the Ford that it had been.

She was alive and breathing. She did have injuries, minimal compared to what it appeared it was or what it could have been. Truly a miracle. It is hard to believe that it has been 10 years. 10 years of miracles. She is married, has two beautiful girls and a baby boy on the way in just a few weeks. Each day, each milestone is not lost on us. I am so thankful for her and the gift that we were given by God. He is good and I know that no matter what the outcome of that fateful day, He would have been still good. Not an easy thing to always say or live out but the truth remains. He is good, He was good as that accident happened, He was good as we faced the reality of the moment and He was good with each breath she took that day, He is good today and will be good tomorrow.

Thank you God for the tens years you have given me with my sister, thank you for her life and thank you for Your goodness in all things.

R

No comments: